The Essense of Bridge

Labels: ,


I spent my afternoon this Sunday playing the Young Chelsea for an event, the Sunday Spring Knockout Teams with Jack. The match was 4 rounds of 12 boards. Basically, its a knock out between 3 teams for the first round, and the finals or consolations after. We lost in the triangle knockout, and played in the consolations knock out to end up 4th in 6 teams in the end, losing our second knockout by 1 imp.

To be honest, I'm not too surprised by the score, it was a small competition, not really anything big. But as the game went though its normal go on the first 2 rounds, I began to start reminiscing about my growth in bridge since coming to UK, and especially after meeting Jack and Jorrit, and having so many chances to play and learn from them.

Going into the semi-finals knockout, we went against Selby's team. Of course, it would be normal, until I told you here's Oscar Selby.
He's 8 years old. And I incidentally thought his name was familiar, and recalled this article that I read from a while ago. But back to bridge. Right at the start, he started with the question, "So how much did you get the last round?" Before Jack nor I could answer, he confidently stated, "We got +22!"

I couldn't help but to chuckle, and was even more amused as he continued to enthusiastically ask us about our bidding system, while telling us that he played ACOL, and strong 2s.

I wondered if I was like that when I started bridge, I recalled myself thinking. Back when bridge was basic, and there was so much more exploration to do in the horizon. We managed a convincing win of 25 imps in 12 boards, and lost by an imp for 3rd place against Andrew Clery's team.

It wasn't the first time playing with Oscar, but I'm always happy to play with him. Perhaps it is the pedagogue in me, is there really anything more awesome than a kid with all his future ahead of him? If you do ever get to read this post, life's going to be rough, but at least you're on the right path. Press on man.

Coming back, I go online, and discovered that Yong Sheng has posted something new today. I do advise everyone to have a look at his blog in my links, absolutely motivational and inspiring, unlike this one :)

As I read, I sat back and reflected. I wonder when would be the day that I have to put down my cards, when I finally lose the mental capacity to play good bridge. I composed myself. That would take a while. I am happy that I have taken a liking to a game that I could play for years and years, even into my twilight years. There is no, last season, in the near future. There is only the next one, if I do accept to take it on.

And it hit me. As I stopped looking into my past, and stared forward to the present. As I watched games played by professionals and good players, as I watch an incredible play made by Jack on the table. The darkness of the uncharted horizon still hangs ahead, for many many years to come.

I do hope that feeling stays with me for those years.

Because that's what that makes things you love to do, really awesome.

Comment (1)

I agree. I'm glad i've found a game i can play for years and years, if I only want to. Kid is flipping amazing...