Elections Afterthoughts

Labels:

I quite wanted to leave this until the end of my exams, but I do reckon that the article would be pointless by then.

As every Singaporean who has not been living under a cave have noticed, Singapore has had its General Elections recently. The final results are that 81 seats of the 87 available go to the PAP, while the 6 remaining has been netted by the Worker's Party (WP), in Hougang and Aljunied respectively.

But my thoughts about the GE regarding the results end there. Because really, the GE is only but the beginning of the whole term of government. I am not concerned about who won by how much, but who won where? Did we lose anybody of significance? Who did we gain? The margin of win is something that the parties, of course, should be concerned with for their next elections, but to us the citizens, perhaps the people representing us, and our experience through this period is of much more importance.

To begin, lets note some of the stars that were lost from the political scene. At least for this elections.

Mr George Yeo, has been a minister of the cabinet since 1991. From Information and the Arts, to Health, to Trade and Industry, and Foreign Affairs. Such a loss in the political scene is insurmountable. To the people that still are talking about him running for president or so, I honestly think that the suggestion itself during the elections is absolutely distasteful. Perhaps even on the brink of disgusting. I honestly believe that the man is dedicated to working for the people, on the ground. To me, to 'suggest an alternative job', is to 'suggest' that he is not fit to be what he was, an MP. If anything, it is degradatory, but then again, its only my opinion.

But to topic, will he running for president? Highly unlikely I think, but wherever he does go from now, I say the very best of luck, and I am sure. ABSOLUTELY sure, that he would surprise us Singaporeans with his work in the future, wherever it may be.

Mr Chiam See Tong, has been the longest ever serving opposition MP. Since 1984 till today, it has been 26 years. Since the age of 50, the man has dedicated a third of his life to politics, to the people of PP when he beat Mah Bao Tan for the seat in 1984. He gave the GRC a darn good shot, but it was just off the mark. Perhaps he has not made much of a difference within the passing of bills in parliament, but it would be an understatement to say that he was the flame that kept the oppositions going as the PAP kept winning across the board. To the man I say, thank you for your work. For the time you have dedicated to the people, for your work in the political scene.

There are much more people that should be mentioned, from Mdm Lim Hwee Hua and all. But exams beckons :)

Moving on to new entries, let us start with the most controversial.

Ms Tin Pei Ling. 27 years old, youngest PAP candidate this year, and running in Marine Parade in SM Goh's GRC. Of course, she's getting in, no matter how bad she is. The bulk of Singaporeans have much respect for SM Goh, including myself. As I go along for opinions, I see many many people, denouncing the fact that she's in the government. Reminding me once again about Kate Spade, Universal Studios, "I don't know what to say" or recently in her speech after winning "#TinPeiLing: I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and confidence in me”.

I mean, seriously, fair enough that "I don't know what to say" was seriously rather facepalm as a politician, but what's the problem you guys have with everything else? She's 27, pose with bag, say bring parents to universal studios also need to flame?

To me, a politician is one who, most importantly be able to connect to the people, and to represent the people's views in government, with the formal of most importance. Sure, she's not perfect, but do I think that she loses out to Nicole Seah? No! Of course, beside Nicole's earnest speeches, Ms Tin looks like she has a speech impediment, but I have to say that this elections, Ms Seah had all the opportunity in the world to speak earnestly and show herself, but that is not the case the Ms Tin! She has to follow in the party's voice, at least for now.

But do I believe Ms Tin should be an MP? No, of course not. How can I afford to vote someone in as an MP when I don't even know what the person personally stand for? She has been too much of a puppet this election, be it that it was forced on her or not. But now that she has been entered into parliament, I urge that everyone, do give the lady another chance. Who knows, she might be great there. To her I say all the best as well!

To the WP team that took Aljunied. Veterans Mr Low and Ms Lim has worked hard for this result. I would have to say that the best team did win the elections. But it is but the beginning. I really wonder how the future will turn out, especially with things regarding property prices and all around the area. It might be trivial things, but probably an interesting dataset to know since it is the first time a GRC has been dropped by the PAP. Mr Chen's performance from now on would be extremely interesting as well. I do hope that he lives up to the expectation that has been placed on him, for a man of his caliber, I expect great things to come.

Will Aljunied repent for 5 years? I wonder. If anything, I think in this elections, it has become blatantly obvious that scare tactics and intimidation is no longer the way to go in Singapore. But it isn't the first time that MM Lee has talked too much. I respect the man, and I feel bad for PM Lee's position. How can you ever get your father to not be too vocal?

Of course Sitoh is another one to talk about, but as before, no time :)

I think however, the dynamics behind the elections is something that is utterly new. Of course, complaints about the ST being partisan is normal, but that's their problem for claiming to be otherwise. However, the more surprising growth is rather the growth of alternative media throughout. From The Online Citizen (TOC), to Temask Review (TR). Also, what that is more surprising is the stiff support that these alternative media give to the opposition.

Even more surprising than that, is this. In the past, it took balls to stand up, and speak against the PAP. Now, the situation has been reversed, where everyone seems to be rabidly pro-opposition, until the point of not making sense. Perhaps the smell of change is taking the air, fuelled by events in US, Middle East and China. Who knows, I think some sociologist should do a research on this.

Also, this election, in my opinion, completely thrashed any arguments of political apathy in the young in Singapore. Youths, even of non-voting age has been so involved that I really am proud of it myself, as a youth.

Finally, on the future. Simple stand.

I don't care about the elections anymore. We have chosen. I believe that with the PAP humbled, and knowing to listen more to the people's voice, it is time for the government to move on. Its time for the people to move on. What that matters is not the past, but the present and future.

What we need to win is not elections for the party of your choice. But the competition of Singapore against the world.

Comments (0)