A Letter to my Future Son

Labels:

I know what you're thinking. You're wondering why I would have had spent time to have written this letter in the first place. My father had been a man of little words towards me, and I would imagine that so would I, towards you. Yet, there was almost a reverential feeling around it all, like he knew. About anything I did wrong. About everything I did wrong. But never did he scold, nor did he punish. He simply waited for time to take its course, because nature's punishments are much more memorable and painful than what he could ever dish out upon me. He never spoke of things that bothered him. Because men never do. Money, health, lust or meaning in life.

As your father I understand that we grew up in different generations, and very different environments. But remember that I was still once a boy like you now are. I will not get mad. I will not get disappointed. You will never let me down. I will let your mistakes ride in the wind, as all mistakes do, and relish when you overcome it, erasing it ever again as a problem in your life.

In fact, I will pass you your first beer before you are 18, I will tell you that studying is not too important, and I will tell you that girls are pretty awesome. Because the best time to discover yourself is when you are still young. Its much harder when you're 30, when the world demands much more of your time than you have to spare.

However, I will give you a moral compass. I will tell you what is right and what is wrong. I will remind you that there is never a complete consensus in the world about anything, even morality. I will err, and you would learn that even I could be wrong. You will realize that it is impossible to live without regrets, but that it would be mundane if you never did have any.

I will remind you that your friends will shape you more than I ever will. I will tell you that you have to pick your friends. And that you might not be your best friend's best friend. I will convince you that another human being will teach you more than any book ever can.

I will remind you to respect everyone including your enemies. And I would encourage you to never make enemies, because life is too short to be bickering. I would also note the fact that only true friends and enemies will stand up to you when they think you're wrong. I will convince you to hold the doors open, to say thank you, to go out of the way for others. Because making someone's life a little better is the best joy that one can derive in life.

I will tell you all the stories I had with girls when I grew up. I will tell you about my first crush, my first date, my first kiss, my first love. I will tell you how I met your mother. I will tell you how I convinced her that I was the one. I will tell you that crushes are normal, and good. However, I will tell you to always give it time. Wait to give yourself to a best friends that you can laugh heartily with. Wait to give yourself to a woman that you can imagine marrying and spending the rest of your life with. I remind you that marriage is not an event, its a commitment.

Finally, I will tell you that in the end, your life is your story. Paint it in any way you wish. Be it as a minimalist, as a impressionist, abstract or realism. You are always the one in control. Even if shit falls, I will remind you that a man is defined by how he acts under pressure, not how he acts without it.

But what I can promise is that I will be there to support you in any way I can. Everything else, keep painting.

...............

Inspired by A Letter To My Future Son by Max Andrew Dubinsky.

Comments (0)